I recently created these cookies for a friend’s birthday party (the same one I brought my homemade-caramel-topped cupcakes to).
Now, these are far from perfect, and I clearly have some practicing to do, but I’m darn proud of these for a couple reasons: 1. These were done completely free-hand, and 2. these were done in about 5 hours…in a row…thanks to the use of a fan (a great tip I found on Sweet Sugar Belle’s blog here). I should also mention that while football helmet cutters are abundant, beer pilsners (glasses) are not…however, guess what looks just like it upside down?
Can you see it? It’s a milk bottle! Which are actually pretty easy to find. 🙂 And yes, I cheated on the picture, I’ll admit it (thank you Photoshop, for having a simple rotate picture function.) I said it before, it’s a tricky thing getting the hang of taking pictures all through the process…which will be evident in this particular post…oh well. This will do for now, since I know you are pretty smart, I think you get the point. I’ll come back to these in a sec…
First the helmets!
Ok, so before anyone (who doesn’t like the Cowboys) goes crazy on me about these, let me add this disclaimer: I am not a Cowboys fan. I am not an any-particular-football-team-fan. However, I will say I’m glad my friend is a Cowboy fan because these ended up being fairly simple and painless. There, lets move on now, shall we?
So like I said, these were pretty painless. The only trick really was the star, since I cannot free-hand a star (without the cross-lines, like in the upper-right pic) to save my life. So that’s how I did them, and then filled them in with the blue. And with the help of a toothpick to get into the corners, it worked out pretty well. I added the upside down picture because that’s how I did the stars, upside down, to show an example of how straight-on is not always the best approach when decorating a cookie.
I highlighted the next steps in red, since I didn’t adequately photograph them. I piped the top edge in the blue, let that dry a bit, then piped and filled the gray. I added the white dot on the bottom while the gray was still wet. After a bit more drying time, I finished off with the face mask part, which you can see I was able to do in one continuous line without breaking. Next time, I would outline the white of the star more. Otherwise I was pretty happy with these.
The beer pilsners were also fairly simple. I found a couple of ideas for the Budweiser logo (disclaimer, I did not sell these cookies, no trademark infringement here) and took off from there.
I started off with the red off-kilter bowtie-looking part, and the top of the glass. Then I added the amber-body of the glass and the top of the foam. Last I added the crown, the base, and the “Budweiser”. I had debated about adding the crown in the last step, but in the end I’m so glad I did, it kind of made the cookie.
All the glasses’ ‘bowties’ ended up fairly uniform for being free-hand:
Here are a bunch of them finished (just ignore the spot on one where I stuck my finger in it)… :p